WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Lent Day 34 March 31

Lenten Reflection for Day 34

Date: Saturday March 31, 2012

Author: John Harris

Bible Passage: 1 John 1:8–9 (NRSV)

8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he who is faithful and just will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Reflection: For those of us who remember the old Lutheran Book of Worship (the green book!), this morning’s passage comprises part of the Confession and Forgiveness of Sins that begins the usual worship service. We acknowledge our sins publicly before God, we are cleansed of all wrongdoing, and our relationship with God is restored. And, of course, the stage is set for the rest of the service where we hear God’s word and receive the sacrament. That is, the slate has been wiped clean; the soil has been prepared for us to love God and neighbor, and to sin no more.

Kathleen Norris cites Gregory of Nyssa’s famous maxim that sin is a failure to grow and reminds us of Carl Jung’s observation that, in order to grow, we must stop running from “our shadow” and face it. That reminds me of Pastor Pat’s “flash light” children’s sermon of two weeks ago that we need to shine the light of Christ in those dark spots in our souls where we have a tendency to plant sinful seeds. And, unless we are in the mushroom farming business, we need to shed Christ’s light into our shadows of sin, “fess up,” and allow that good fruit to grow to maturity. We need to stop committing the same sins over and over again, to grow like any plant toward the “light that has come into the world.” I believe Gregory’s image of sin retarding growth to be an apt one. Sin destroys relationships, and if we are expending energy trying to constantly repair relationships, there is nothing left to nourish and nurture those relationships when we finally restore them. The power of our public confession of sins is that whenever we fall into “the shadows,” Christ is there to light the way and to forgive.

Prayer: “Lord, let my heart be good soil, open to the seed of your word. Lord, let my heart be good soil, where love can grow and peace is understood. When my heart is hard, break the stone away. When my heart is cold, warm it with the day. When my heart is lost, lead me on your way. Lord, let my heart, Lord, let my heart, Lord, let my heart be good soil.” (Handt Hanson, ELW #512)

No comments:

Post a Comment