WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Lent Day 25: March 21

Lenten Reflection for Day 25

Date: March 21, 2012

Author: Mary Harrington

Bible Passage: Philippians 4:11–13 (NRSV)

11 Not that I am referring to being in need; for I have learned to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know what it is to have little, and I know what it is to have plenty. In any and all circumstances I have learned the secret of being well fed and of going hungry, of having plenty and of being in need. 13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Reflection:

Paul wrote this letter to the Philippians while he was in prison, but he told them that he was happy whatever his conditions. Paul knew prosperity, but he also suffered beatings and imprisonment. Always he knew he could “do all things through him who strengthens me.”

For many of us “older” people, we have known the challenges/disappointments of being without when we were young and just starting out on our own. There were the high times - being happy with a new job, new marriage, etc. There were low times – the temptation to blame others for our difficulties, being dissatisfied with our lot in life, focusing inward, wanting what others have.

As time progressed and we had different “high times” - accumulated assets – new vehicles, a home, etc. And low times - the temptations – regardless of what we have always looking for the next acquisition, the stresses of responsibilities, illness, and loss. In all circumstances we had opportunities to share and be grateful because whether we have little or plenty, there are still many people worse off that we are, and as followers of Jesus, we need to reach out to them as we can.

Can we be more like Paul and be happy in whatever our conditions? Are we content in all circumstances, as Paul was, knowing that God meets all our needs? We should use Jesus as our example, regardless of our status – where we are in life – and become more of a servant to others.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help me to always be content, whatever my circumstances, knowing that you will give me the strength to handle anything. Open my eyes and heart to opportunities, large and small, to be a servant to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment