WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Lent Day 24: March 20

Lenten Reflection for Day 24

Date: March 20, 2012

Author: John Harris

Bible Passage: Galatians 6:2 (NRSV)

2 Bear one another’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.

Reflection:

We need to be good and empathetic listeners to our neighbors, even if we cannot fully understand the nature of their burdens. With the help of the Holy Spirit, we need to listen with a “spirit of gentleness” to our neighbors when they need someone to talk to or have that momentary “melt down.” It is easy to love your neighbor when everything is going right, not so easy when they or someone they love are ill or having problems. It is at these times that Jesus’ second great commandment becomes the most difficult to fulfill.

I confess! I am “addicted” to Dear Abby, Annie’s Mailbox, and Miss Manners. When it comes to advice columns, I just cannot help myself! What problems—real or perceived (it doesn’t matter!) are my neighbors willing to reveal to the extremely empathetic editors of these columns. Sometimes the writers requesting advice just need a sounding board, a “sympathetic ear,” and Abby never hesitates to affirm them as they deal with their “issues.” Other times, Abby, in a “spirit of gentleness,” will detect a “transgression” in the writer and will remind the person that they will “reap what they sow.” Now, I am certainly not advocating that we all get into the advice column business, but we can certainly mimic Abby and be good listeners to our families, our co-workers, our church families, and to all our neighbors. Be a good listener. Take time with folks who are going through difficult times—the loss of a spouse or loved one, the loss of a job, or battling a serious illness. Help them lighten their burdens by just listening!

Prayer: Dear Abby God (sorry!), help me be a good listener and a good neighbor. Let your “spirit of gentleness blow thro’ the wilderness calling and free. Spirit, spirit of restlessness stir me from placidness.” Let that spirit be a source of comfort to all those we interact with in our daily lives. Amen. (lyrics from #396, ELW, and written by J.K. Manly, Spirit of Gentleness)


No comments:

Post a Comment