WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Friday, February 24, 2012

Lent Day 3

Lenten Reflection for Day 3

Date: February 24, 2012

Author: Howard Shaffer

Bible Passage: Job 42:1–3 (NRSV)

1 Then Job answered the Lord: 2 “I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted. 3 ‘Who is this that hides counsel without knowledge?’ Therefore I have uttered what I did not understand, things too wonderful for me, which I did not know.”

Reflection:

Job’s story is about good and evil and our reaction to it. The story raises the old question, “Why do bad things happen to good people?”

Job has bad things happen to him and gets angry with God, and they discuss it. God answers by telling of his divine power and wisdom. Job has kept his faith and is repentant (sorry) for his angry words.

The Good News translation is clearer to me. “You (God) ask how I dare question your wisdom when I am so very ignorant. I talked about things I did not understand, about marvels too perfect for me to know.”

This tells me:

Don’t worry about how God runs the universe.

Concern yourself with running your own life and recognizing you need God’s help in doing it. There is a hymn “I need Thee every hour.” For me that is often optimistic. I need God’s and the Holy Spirit’s guidance more frequently that that.

Prayer:

God help us to know that we can turn to you as often as we feel the need. Help us to remember Christ’s words about prayer. “Whatever your need pray for it. You Father in heaven knows what you need before you ask for it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment