WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Day 2 Lenten Devotion--February 23, 2012

Lenten Reflection for Day 2

Date: February 23, 2012

Author: John Harris

Bible Passage: Matthew 28:16–17 (NRSV)

16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted.

Reflection:

“Doubt is merely the seed of faith,” states an elderly Benedictine monk in response to Kathleen Norris’ frustrations with her own Christian faith. Doubt plays a major part in this morning’s Bible passage.

Jesus has a special place in His heart for all of us “doubters.” And I ask all of you, who has not had his or her moments of doubt? In over thirty years of leading adult Bible studies, I cannot count the number of times folks have expressed difficulties of belief over certain Bible passages. But, you know what, Jesus can handle our doubts. Indeed, the “seeds of faith” are planted in the very heart of our unbelief. We just need the “intestinal fortitude” to continue our conversations with Jesus by continuing to read the Bible, attending worship services (particularly the Wednesday Lenten services!), and availing ourselves of the sacrament.

It is through worship that we hear the word of God and how God strengthens our faith and speaks to us in our moments of doubt. Through worship, we see how God responded to all those other doubters—Sarah, Moses, Jonah, Jeremiah, Peter, the woman at the well, and Thomas just to name a few. Through worship, we keep the channels of communication with Jesus open. When we keep our two way conversations with God open, as Kathleen Norris so eloquently states, “things fall into place.”

Prayer: Dear God, I know that You are with me in my moments of doubt. Help me to discern Your ways through worship and the gift of Your body and blood. Speak to me through Your Holy Spirit as you have spoken to the prophets of old. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment