WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Lent Day 20: March 31

Lenten Reflection for Day 20

Date: Thursday March 31, 2011

Author: Pastor Pat Harris

Bible Passage:

Mark 1:16–18 (NRSV)

16 As Jesus passed along the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the sea—for they were fishermen. 17 And Jesus said to them, “Follow me and I will make you fish for people.” 18 And immediately they left their nets and followed him.

Reflection:

Whenever I read this passage about Jesus calling the disciples, the word that always jumps out at me is immediately. I can certainly understand Simon and Andrew following Jesus. There was undoubtedly something compelling in his manner, words and persuasion. But immediately they left their nets!!! Those nets were their livelihood. I wonder if they thought about washing the nets and putting them away first. I wonder if they didn’t feel like they had to run home first and tell their families. Some powerful force moved them to respond immediately.

I am amazed at the level of faith that would allow these men to follow Jesus so quickly. Their faith let them take the first step in responding to Jesus’ command, and their obedience reinforced their faith. This reinforcement of their faith following their initial response was important for challenges that would face them toward the end of Jesus’ ministry on earth. I wonder if Simon and Andrew could have taken that first step of following Jesus if they could have seen the cross at the end of the road.

For us, taking the first step toward following Jesus’ call may be difficult, but often more thorny challenges arise. Very few of us can take this first step immediately. For instances, agreeing to take a lay leadership role at church may require much soul searching. When a call is prayerfully followed, God gives us a faith boost to help us get started. However during the course of this work, if obstacles come up such as program changes, financial difficulties, or the loss of other volunteers, the commitment to serve can be challenged. Reliance on God, accompanied by prayer is what sustains us through these challenges.

Prayer, the faith that is a gift from God, and our response to God’s call to serve are all intertwined. We are unable to serve or even pray without the Holy Spirit who intercedes on our behalf.

Prayer:

Gracious God, may your faith encourage and sustain me and may you grant me the listening ears to hear your call and the obedience to follow it. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment