WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Saturday, March 27, 2010

Holy Communion--In remembrance of Jesus

Week 6 Lenten Devotions

Lent Day 34: Saturday March 27

Theme for the Week: Holy Communion—Bread for the Journey

Passage for the Day: 1 Corinthians 11:23-26

23 For I received from the Lord what I also handed on to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took a loaf of bread, 24 and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, “This is my body that is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 25 In the same way he took the cup also, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” 26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.

Reflection:

This passage is the only time that St. Paul records a verbal interaction between Jesus and his disciples in one of his letters. The Corinthians had lapsed into some “un-Christian behaviors” during their Communion meals and Paul was reminding them of the significance of Jesus’ words. Because Paul’s letter to the Corinthians was most likely written before even Mark’s Gospel, this is the earliest written account recording Jesus’ interactions with his disciples at the time of their last meal together. This event, together with Jesus’ commands, is the basis for our celebration of Holy Communion. Paul emphasizes Jesus’ words: This is my body…This cup is…my blood. When we eat the bread and drink the cup, Jesus is present in our midst.

Neither Matthew nor Mark’s accounts has Jesus telling the disciples to “do this in remembrance of me.” In addition, neither of them records Jesus as saying that when you eat and drink, “you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes.” When we come together to celebrate Holy Communion, not only is Jesus truly present with us, but the eating and drinking function as an active Memorial to him. We remember all that Jesus has done for us. Paul emphasizes the communion meal as a means for communicating or proclaiming the Good News that Jesus died for you.

Prayer Themes:

Thank God for the opportunity to share in the bread and wine of communion. Thank God for the presence of Christ in our midst and our memories of Jesus’ death for us. Pray that in communion, I am able to be thankful and accepting of all that Jesus has done for me. Pray for those who struggle about participating in the Communion Meal. Pray for all those who are alienated from the Christian Communion.

No comments:

Post a Comment