WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Friday, March 19, 2010

Baptism--Making Disciples

Week 5 Lenten Devotions

Lent Day 27: Friday March 19

Theme for the Week: Holy Baptism--Baptized We Live

Passage for the Day: Matthew 28:16-20

16 Now the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain to which Jesus had directed them. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 And Jesus came and said to them, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything that I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

Reflection:

In this passage, Jesus connects the devotion and learning of discipleship with the concrete action of baptism. Jesus’ remaining eleven disciples are to make new disciples, new followers/learners through the act of baptizing them. They are to be brought into the fold of disciples by an action which is both symbolic and transforming. And this is to be not just any baptism, but a baptism in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Even 2000 years later, Jesus’ command is still being followed. Babies, children and adults still become disciples of Christ and members of the Christian Church through baptism in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.

In my baptism as infant, my parents and godparents promised to raise me in a way that I would know Christ and to teach me how to be a disciple of Christ, which includes following Christ’s commands to serve and to love, and participating in the strength-giving fellowship of the Christian community. If you are baptized as an adult, you make those promises for yourself. With baptism, I enter into the Christian community, and the Christian community promises to help me grow as a disciple. I promise to act as Christ’s hands in the world. I am also sealed by the Holy Spirit as a Christian, and marked with the cross of Christ forever. And in this baptism, Christ claims me as his own—promising to be with me forever. My baptism will last forever!!

Prayer Themes:

Thank God for the gift of baptism that lasts forever. Pray that I might be strengthened as a disciple of Christ, and that I might be able to help other Christians grow in discipleship. Pray for all those considering baptism, preparing for baptism and those who are newly baptized.

No comments:

Post a Comment