WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Lent Day 36 April 3

Lenten Reflection for Day 36

Date: April 3, 2012

Author: Mike Michaels

Bible Passage:

Mark 10:15 (NRSV)

15 Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it.”

(The words of our Lord Jesus, spoken while holding and blessing the little children around him. Italics added by me.)

Reflection:

Apparently Jesus had a fondness for children, as well as His love for humankind. Maybe even more. Certainly not less. When His disciples tried to have Him “less pestered” by the children in the crowds of people who were flocking to Him, Jesus responded in a way that revealed what has become a most helpful hint for my personal happiness: Accept the Kingdom of God as a little child.

Kids don’t try to understand God. They seem to be born with the common sense that God cannot be understood; a fact that many of us seem to lose as we become older and more “educated.” (Psalms 147:5, Isaiah 40:28, Romans 11:33-34) Kids just love Him, thank Him for what they have, and pray for what they need, as Jesus taught us to pray in The Lord’s Prayer. I like that.

I’ve made my decision to “Receive the Kingdom of God as a little child.” Only after years of studying, dissecting, and questioning, in the end to realize that I cannot truly come to an acceptable understanding on my human level. It makes sense, given that God cannot be understood by us. It is also what I feel in my heart is the right thing for me to do.

By accident, I discovered another reason to choose to “receive the Kingdom of God as a little child.” It is purely a logical one: Everyone I’ve met who does so, seems happier, both inside and out. They seem to be less troubled by the world’s ills, less worried about the future, less tempted by Satan’s snares, better equipped to cope when bad stuff happens, and in general just all-around more laid-back and relaxed, than those who do not.

So in addition to Jesus’ admonition that we won’t enter the Kingdom unless we receive it as children, it also makes me happy thinking about the tremendous benefits that we reap right here and now… to ourselves, our loves ones, and our brothers and sisters, as well.

Prayer:

Heavenly Father, as we come before you to thank you, as always, for the countless blessing that you continually bestow through your undeserved love and kindness, we pray that you will give us one more gift that we may need, both in order to please you, and to make us better neighbors to the rest of your creation: Please, help us to accept and receive Your Kingdom as if we were the little children whom your Son while on Earth was so fond of. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment