WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Lent Day 30 March 27, 2012

Lenten Reflection for Day 30

Date: March 27, 2012

Author: Richard Day

Bible Passage: Romans 7:18–21 (NRSV)

18 For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. 19 For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. 20 Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. 21 So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand.

Reflection:

This passage talks about the forces of good and evil in this world. Particularly, the battle within each one of us of wanting to do what we know is right and good but often failing and, instead, doing what we know is wrong and even evil.

Every one of us can relate to instances of this classic battle in our own lives. The bible is full of these battles. In fact the first one happened in the very beginning of the bible. Adam and Eve were living the good life in the Garden of Eden. But then Satan, in the form of a serpent, got them to do what they knew they shouldn’t do (i.e. eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil) and the battle between good and evil was engaged.

When I first read today’s bible passage, the words that really struck me were ”when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand.” It’s as if the devil is always lurking to counteract anything that is right or good. This was certainly the case in the very beginning in the Garden of Eden. It was also the case when God sent his Son into the world.

Jesus was the embodiment of the greatest good this world has ever known. But, even at Jesus’ birth, evil was lying “close at hand”. Upon hearing of the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem, Herod ordered the slaughter of all the male infants in the town in the hopes of killing Jesus. Later in Jesus’ life, after He was baptized in the Jordan River and “the Spirit of God descended like a dove on Him”, He went into the desert where the devil was once again lurking. During those forty days and nights in the wilderness the devil relentlessly tempted Jesus to disavow good and to worship him. But Jesus said “Away from me, Satan.” Finally, in Jerusalem, the forces of evil working through Judas Iscariot, the chief priests, elders, and the crowd yelling “Crucify Him!” put Jesus to death on the cross.

But good would not be overcome by evil. Jesus’ resurrection is the victory of life over death and good over evil. Thanks be to God.

Prayer:

Lord, God, prepare us for those times when we are confronted with the decision to do what we know is right and good, but the lurking forces of evil are giving us convenient reasons to do what we know is wrong and evil. Give us the strength and conviction to be like Jesus and say “Away from me, Satan!” Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment