WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Lent Day 20: March 15

Lenten Reflection for Day 20

Date: March 15, 2012

Author: Mary Davis

Bible Passage: Matthew 13:24–29 (NRSV)

24 He put before them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven may be compared to someone who sowed good seed in his field; 25 but while everybody was asleep, an enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and then went away. 26 So when the plants came up and bore grain, then the weeds appeared as well. 27 And the slaves of the householder came and said to him, ‘Master, did you not sow good seed in your field? Where, then, did these weeds come from?’ 28 He answered, ‘An enemy has done this.’ The slaves said to him, ‘Then do you want us to go and gather them?’ 29 But he replied, ‘No; for in gathering the weeds you would uproot the wheat along with them. Let both of them grow together until the harvest; and at harvest time, I will tell the reapers, Collect the weeds first and bind them in bundles to be burned, but gather the wheat into my barn.'"

Reflection:

This is one of the "familiar" parables that I've heard since I was a child. While some interpret it to mean a parable on judgment, I read it as a parable on perseverance, since both wheat and weeds must grow together, and the wheat must overcome the weeds to survive. I believe that the good seeds are all of us, struggling daily for light and nourishment while surrounded by the weeds (evils) that threaten to choke and weaken us. These evils are both internal as well as external. Many people struggle daily to find basic necessities, while others are bombarded with stress from jobs, families, and impossibly high expectations. Still others face physical and mental illnesses, doubts, fears, addictions. For many, the call of wealth, fame, and glamour beckon. It is very hard to buck the tide of "the world" to stay true to God's teachings. Each day we have to choose. Do we take the easy way with superficial gratification where ever we can find it (the way of the weeds); or do we opt for the harder, narrower road, and struggle to do what is right and pleasing to God; while keeping in mind that those who choose to follow God's path, will one day be rewarded with the promise of a place in heaven.

Prayer:
Dear God, please help me to stay strong to your word today as I quietly battle the forces that try to overpower me. Help me to feel your presence at my side, to hear your words of encouragement, and, at the end of the day, to be refreshed with your peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment