WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Monday, February 27, 2012

Lent Day 5 February 27

Lenten Reflection for Day 5

Date: February 27, 2012

Author: Carol Brudnicki

Bible Passage: Luke 10:25–29 (NRSV)

25 Just then a lawyer stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he said, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?” 26 He said to him, “What is written in the law? What do you read there?” 27 He answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and your neighbor as yourself.” 28 And he said to him, “You have given the right answer; do this, and you will live.” 29 But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

Reflection:

Throughout Jesus teaching he summarizes the Laws passed down from Moses and the Prophet into two commandments – To love God and to love your neighbor as yourself. All other laws support these two.

We so often find it hard to put God first and love him with all our heart, soul, strength and mind. We are distracted with having the latest or newest items. We put others ahead of God. We think of our needs or wants. Our hectic lives interfere with putting God first and foremost. Yet all things come from God and are his gifts to us. We need to start each morning with praise to God asking him to help us put God first and to ask for guidance for the day.

The commandment to Love your Neighbor is one of the hardest to follow. Our neighbor is everyone – They are similar and different from each of us. They are your brother, your friend, and the stranger. They are the person who cuts you off when driving, the one who gossips or spreads false information about you, and the person who would do anything for you. I am reminded of the bracelets that were common a few years ago with the initials WWJD on them. It was to remind the wearer to think “What Would Jesus Do” in all their actions and dealing with others. To Love your Neighbor is to treat your neighbor as you would like to be treated, as Jesus would do.

Prayer:

Lord, Thank you for all you have done for me and for all you have given me. Help me to relate to my neighbor in a loving and caring way. Guide me in seeing their needs and viewpoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment