WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Friday, April 22, 2011

Lent Day 39: April 22--Good Friday

I welcome guest bloggers Lorraine Blanchfield and Barbara McKinley this morning and thank them for their reflection on the meaning of loving our enemies.

Lenten Reflection for Day 39

Date: Friday April 22, 2011 (Good Friday)

Author: Lorraine Blanchfield and Barbara McKinley

Bible Passage:

Matthew 5:44 (NRSV)

44 But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Reflection:

When I first read this verse I thought the request that Christ is asking of us as humans is not only impossible but absurd. It is only natural for man to react to any wrong doing with hostility and resentment. Yet this one command from God is what separates us as Christians from the human world. Instead of flattering ourselves and giving in to our pride and selfishness, we are to return love to those that want to cause us harm and have nothing good to say about our reputation.

By our actions, they will know that we are Christians! It is only through Christ in our heart that this is possible, for us to return love for evil. Loving our enemies does not mean that we have to like their conduct or even find it acceptable, but it does mean that we are to forgive them and to pray for them the same blessings on their life that we would also desire on our own. This then puts us "right" with God and we can let go of the outcome.

It has often been said that we do not forgive others for their sake but for our own, so that we may heal and let go of any resentments towards one another. By praying for our enemies, we are putting them in Gods hands and interceding for them. We are doing for our enemies what they cannot do for themselves, bringing them to Christ for reconciliation though Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior.

Prayer:

Lord of peace and justice, let me not so much want victory over my enemies but true and mutual reconciliation with them. Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment