WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Lent Day 36: April 19

This morning we welcome guest blogger Mike Michaels, who reflects on what it means to restore others in a "spirit of gentleness.

Lenten Reflection for Day 36

Date: Tuesday April 19, 2011 (Tuesday in Holy Week)

Author: Mike Michaels

Bible Passage:

Galatians 6:1 (NRSV)

1My friends, if anyone is detected in a transgression, you who have received the Spirit should restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness. Take care that you yourselves are not tempted.

Reflection:

Some of us have partners and close friends who may serve as that “second conscience” at times when we may be leaning away from the behaviors that God expects of His people.

Because of their support and examples we find it’s easier to maintain Christian behavior, surrounded by others who share our faith, rather than going it alone.

Dietrich Bonhoffer states that we do a terrible disservice to our partners, or brothers and sisters in the faith, when we just clam up and do not point out when they are doing something that Jesus has warned us as “despicable to the Lord.” While I still have a difficult time figuring out how to talk to a fellow Christian regarding sinful behavior, I understand my responsibility to do so, and so I now pray that if the time comes along, I will have the Holy Spirit speak through me, for the right words and not my own clumsy attempts.

Now if I could just reconcile this feeling that I myself am loaded down with all manner of grievous sin, and that I have no right in God’s eyes, to counsel anyone else who may be transgressing as well…I could do the job much more efficiently, I’m sure!

Prayer:

Dear Lord, please help me to know when to speak and when to change my own behavior. Give me a caring heart and loving words to use in gentleness, whenever I do have to speak, in a helpful way, about You and Your righteous principles. Also, if it isn’t too much to ask, help me remove the logs from my own eyes before even attempting to help someone remove a speck of dust from theirs. In Jesus name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment