WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Keep Awake: It's a New Year

Blessed Advent to All Readers
On this First Sunday in Advent, as we light the first Advent candle, we remember how these candles illuminate our way for next four weeks. During this time, we will be anticipating Christ's coming--coming as an infant at Christmas, coming again to save us and coming daily into our hearts. Even though Advent is sometimes thought of as a prelude to Christmas, it is its own special time in the Church Year. For me, celebrating Advent with its time for prayer and devotion is a peaceful counter to the cultural demands of the secular Christmas season. Advent says Stop, Wait, and Pray, while the culture calls us to Hurry, Celebrate and Buy.
Although I enjoy celebrating Christmas with all of my family traditions of worship, decorating, special foods, exchanging gifts and cards, and visiting with friends, I find that I need the quiet time of Advent devotion to fully appreciate the Christmas festivities. In these first weeks of Advent, the Advent wreath with its blue candles, signifying hope, is our primary home decoration. The simple wreath with its growing light help keep us focused on the light that Christ brings into the world.
As a way of communicating with you, I will be sharing daily devotions on this blog. These devotions will be my reflections on the Biblical texts highlighted in the new Augsburg Fortress Advent devotional book: "I wonder as I wander". You can find out more about this book at http://www.augsburgfortress.org/
Blessed Advent to all of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment