WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Pray Without Ceasing

Week 4 Lenten Devotions

Lent Day 22: Saturday March 13

Theme for the Week: The Lord’s Prayer as a Way to Ask for Help

Passage for the Day: 1 Thessalonians 5:16-19

16 Rejoice always, 17 pray without ceasing, 18 give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 19 Do not quench the Spirit.

Reflection:

In Paul’s letter to the Thessalonians, he give us a “tall order”. Rejoice always, pray without ceasing. Was Paul kidding? Did he really think this was possible? Some days it seems like even a little rejoicing is difficult. How is it possible to rejoice always, particularly when I am in pain or worried about something, or things just don’t seem to be going my way?

I think the rejoicing always, the praying without ceasing and the giving thanks in all situations are tied together. This group of three distinct actions all influence one another. If I am in constant communication with God in prayer, it will influence my outlook on life (e.g. my willingness to be joyful) and my capability to be thankful. On the other hand, if I can find something to be thankful about, then I want to pray to God in thanks, and if I am thankful, I am a whole lot more likely to be joyful. If the “always” and the “unceasing” seem difficult, I can start simply. I can find one thing to rejoice about even if I seem to be in the middle of a raw deal. If I can find one thing that gives me joy, then I can pray to God in thanks for that one thing. That may well jump start the cycle and get me off to a much happier, thankful day.

The last part of this passage is also tied to these three interlocking actions. “Do not quench the Spirit”! If I get myself off on a “woe is me” attitude, I am can get so focused on me and my problems that I will never hear the Spirit. If on the other hand, I am busy finding something to be joyful about, thanking God for that one thing, and spending time in prayer, the Spirit will have a much better chance of finding an entry into my life. When the Holy Spirit is working with me, I will also have a much better chance of sticking with prayer, joy and thanks.

Prayer Themes:

Thank God for the all the things in my life that give me joy. Pray that God will help me to find things to be joyful about. Pray for help in thanking God and praying regularly. Pray for those who are finding it difficult to pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment