WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Baptized with the Holy Spirit and Fire

Week 5 Lenten Devotions

Lent Day 25: Wednesday March 17

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY

Theme for the Week: Holy Baptism--Baptized We Live

This week we will be reflecting on the gift of baptism and what baptism means in our lives.

Passage for the Day: Luke 3:16

16 John answered all of them by saying, “I baptize you with water; but one who is more powerful than I is coming; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandals. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Reflection:

What does it mean to be baptized with the Holy Spirit and fire?

Jesus Christ, the Messiah whose coming that John was prophesying, called on his followers to baptize in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Jesus promised his followers the gift of the Holy Spirit as an Advocate and Counselor. Christians, as Jesus’ followers throughout the ages, have been baptized according to his command. Although water is the visible element used in Christian baptism (either through submersion or by pouring water on the person’s head), we believe that the Holy Spirit descends into a person at his or her baptism. This is a baptism that is good forever. Even though the water dries, after baptism, I am permanently changed. The gift of the Holy Spirit never ends for me. Because baptism lasts forever, each day I can call on the Holy Spirit to forgive my sins and to guide me through another day.

To be baptized with fire, is likely another reference to the Holy Spirit. On Pentecost, the Spirit descended onto the disciples like tongues of fire. The Spirit is a fiery presence in my life, refining and purifying me daily.

Prayer Themes: Thank God for the gift of the Holy Spirit that entered my life in baptism. Pray for the refining and purifying action of the Spirit in my life. Pray that I might hear and respond to the Holy Spirit’s ongoing guidance. Pray for those preparing for baptism in this Lenten season and for those who are newly baptized.

No comments:

Post a Comment