WELCOME

Hello! I am Pastor Pat Harris of Prince of Peace Lutheran Church in Claremont NH. I welcome you to join with me in musings about the church year season, daily texts or meditations. I will share my thoughts and invite you to share yours with me as well. I look forward to sharing internet time with you, and if you are ever in the Claremont NH area, please feel free to drop in and visit in person. Our regular worship service times are Sundays at 9:30 AM

You can also visit us on the web at http://www.poplutheranchurchnh.org
Or find us on Facebook at
Prince of Peace Evangelical Lutheran Church

Friday, February 19, 2010

Forgiveness and Release from Dispair--Lent Day 3

Lent Day 3: February 19

Theme for the Week: Confession, Forgiveness and Reconciliation

Passage for the Day:

Psalm 25:17-18

17Relieve the troubles of my heart,

and bring me out of my distress.

18Consider my affliction and my trouble,

and forgive all my sins.

Reflection:

The Book of Psalms is considered to be the prayer book of the Bible. Jesus, himself used psalms as prayers. The writer of this psalm seems to be entrapped in distress to the point that it is troubling the heart. The psalmist prays that God will free him or her from all the things are troubling and distressing. After praying for release, the psalmist also prays for forgiveness of sins.

Sometimes when we are in a bad situation, we are tempted to further sin. Being in trouble can cause us to despair, which can alienate us from God or the people around us. Other times we can think—I am already in “so deep” that I might as well keep on doing bad stuff. This can lead to a sense that you cannot get out of the hole into which you have fallen.

How are trouble and sin interrelated in your life? Does being in distress create further opportunities for sin in your life? How does being freed from the power of sin change your life? Does knowing that Christ frees you from sin allow for reconciliation in your life or a new start?

Prayer Themes for the Day:

Confess to God anything that is troubling you. Pray for release for anything that is bothering or distressing you. Pray for God’s forgiveness for things that are separating you from God, and pray that you may be able to forgive anyone with whom you are estranged.

No comments:

Post a Comment